1031 Qualified Intermediary Services

As a Qualified Intermediary (QI), 1031 CORP. acts as the facilitator or middleman in an exchange. The word “qualified” refers to the intermediary’s relationship to the Taxpayer. To be a “qualified” intermediary, the party must not be the actual Taxpayer or the Taxpayer's accountant, attorney, real estate professional, financial planner, employees, partners or close relative.

  • Your QI handles all required documentation, coordinates the details with you and your agents (real estate professional, tax and/or legal advisor(s) and closing agents) and holds the exchange proceeds during the exchange period.
  • Both the relinquished property and the replacement property “flow” through the QI although title passes directly from the seller to the buyer, just as in any typical real estate transaction.
  • Your QI keeps you aware of your timelines and is available to answer your questions throughout the exchange process.

When must the 1031 exchange be initiated?

Ideally, the Taxpayer will notify 1031 CORP. one to two weeks prior to the scheduled closing of the relinquished property. This allows your Exchange Officer to prepare and forward the exchange documents to you with sufficient time to review and return them. It also enables your Exchange Officer to give the closing agent ample notice that the transaction is part of a 1031 exchange. If the exchange was not planned in advance, we can initiate an exchange at the last minute, even while you are sitting at the closing table. However, once the closing is complete and title of the relinquished property is conveyed to the buyer, it is too late to initiate the exchange and the sale will be a taxable event.


Exchange Accommodation Titleholder (EAT) Services

An Exchange Accommodation Titleholder (EAT) is used to complete a reverse exchange or improvement exchange.  In a reverse exchange, the EAT holds legal title to either the relinquished or replacement property until the relinquished property can be conveyed to a buyer.  In an improvement exchange, the EAT holds legal title to the replacement property and makes the identified improvements before conveying the improved property to the Exchanger within the 180-Day Exchange Period. 

When must a reverse or improvement exchange be initiated?

A reverse or improvement exchange takes longer to properly structure so much time is needed.  Please contact 1031 CORP. as early in the process as possible.

Additional Services Available

  • Complimentary consultations.
  • Monthly receipt of Exchanging Times® e-newsletter to bring you timely, valuable information.
  • Investor seminars and webcasts.
  • In-house or webcast training workshops for professionals.
  • Continuing education courses for attorneys, accountants, REALTORS® and title agents.
  • An ever expanding wealth of information and helpful tips available on our website.

What Our Clients Are Saying

"I had a great team to help me through my first time using 1031. They made it easy and helped me step by step. They took their time and explained all of the details and deadlines. I would definitely use you again. Thank you!"

-- Folsom, PA

Need help? Contact our team to ask questions and find out how to get started.

Talk to an Exchange Team Member